Traffick - The Business of Search Engines & Web Portals
Blog Categories (aka Tags) Archive of Traffick Articles Our Internet Marketing Consulting Services Contact the Traffickers Traffick RSS Feed

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Same Old, Same Old

In Part 1 of the Sullivan keynote, one theme was the fast-changing nature of online marketing.

Yes, it does change fast, but not really.

Does this sound familiar?

Andrew Goodman shows up to a seminar and asks how many of the attendees are familiar with a 201-level search marketing concept like the "miserable failure" search query, or the Long Tail. Having just come off a conference where 99% of people would have put up their hand, and the remaining 1% just had his arm in a sling, Goodman's shocked when not a single hand goes up... and they mean it.

A prospect contacts us at Page Zero with some initially favorable impressions of their first push into online marketing. Their customers have become increasingly dependent on the web as a research channel, and they also use the website to set up appointments with sales reps. However, right now, this company has an incredibly expensive-looking, Flash-heavy site with virtually no search engine friendliness in mind; landing pages that won't work as measurable or persuasive pages to bring paid search traffic to, etc. Had they taken care to research the search channel a bit more (it's close to 50% of online spending, y'know), they would have saved themselves 6-12 months, and $50-100,000. Now, a long term SE visibility plan is required, including significant changes to the website. Fortunately, the time to market for a custom AdWords campaign is much shorter, although the effort to persuade and measure better will also require non-trivial site changes.

Some things haven't changed nearly as much as they should have. Wouldn't a self-respecting web shop want to partner with a reliable marketing shop, or have one of their own in-house, so the client gets what they need from the beginning?

Posted by Andrew Goodman




View Posts by Category

 

Speaking Engagement

I am speaking at SMX West

Need Solid Advice?        

Google AdWords book


Andrew's book, Winning Results With Google AdWords, (McGraw-Hill, 2nd ed.), is still helping tens of thousands of advertisers cut through the noise and set a solid course for campaign ROI.

And for a glowing review of the pioneering 1st ed. of the book, check out this review, by none other than Google's Matt Cutts.


Posts from 2002 to 2010


07/2002
08/2002
09/2002
10/2002
11/2002
12/2002
01/2003
02/2003
03/2003
04/2003
05/2003
06/2003
07/2003
08/2003
09/2003
10/2003
11/2003
12/2003
01/2004
02/2004
03/2004
04/2004
05/2004
06/2004
07/2004
08/2004
09/2004
10/2004
11/2004
12/2004
01/2005
02/2005
03/2005
04/2005
05/2005
06/2005
07/2005
08/2005
09/2005
10/2005
11/2005
12/2005
01/2006
02/2006
03/2006
04/2006
05/2006
06/2006
07/2006
08/2006
09/2006
10/2006
11/2006
12/2006
01/2007
02/2007
03/2007
04/2007
05/2007
06/2007
07/2007
08/2007
09/2007
10/2007
11/2007
12/2007
01/2008
02/2008
03/2008
04/2008
05/2008
06/2008
07/2008
08/2008
09/2008
10/2008
11/2008
12/2008
01/2009
02/2009
03/2009
04/2009
05/2009
06/2009
07/2009
08/2009
09/2009
10/2009
11/2009
12/2009
01/2010
02/2010
03/2010
04/2010

Recent Posts


Sullivan Pubcon Keynote, Part 2

Garlinghouse's Relative Incrementalism

Life on the A-List

Chris Tolles' Definitive Pubcon Summary

NHL and Youtube: now that's how you spread an idea...

Danny Keeps a Consistent Thread in Pubcon Keynote

Everything You Need to Know About Pubcon

AdWords Landing Page Quality Score and the History...

If I Plug it Do I Get Some ValleySchwag?

It's a Beautiful Sweet Red Day in the Arbitrage-Ho...

 


Traffick - The Business of Search Engines & Web Portals

 


Home | Categories | Archive | About Us | Internet Marketing Consulting | Contact Us
© 1999 - 2013 Traffick.com. All Rights Reserved